KILKENNY COUNTY COUNCIL
Comhairle Chontae Cill Chainnigh
Climate Change Adaptation Strategy Public Consultation
Kilkenny County Council has prepared a draft Local Authority Climate Change Adaptation Strategy in accordance with the provisions of The Climate Action and Low Carbon Development Act 2015 and the National Adaptation Framework (NAF), 2018.
Purpose of the Strategy:
The Climate Change Adaptation Strategy takes on the role as the primary instrument at local level to:
- ensure a proper comprehension of the key risks and vulnerabilities of climate change;
- bring forward the implementation of climate resilient actions in a planned and proactive manner;
- ensure that climate adaptation considerations are mainstreamed into all plans and policies and integrated into all operations and functions of Kilkenny County Council.
Accompanying the draft Climate Change Adaptation Strategy is:
- A Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) Screening Report in accordance with the SEA Directive (DIR 2001/42/EC) and pursuant to European Communities (Environmental Assessment of Certain Plans and Programmes) Regulations 2004 (SI 435 of 2004 as amended by SI 200 of 2011) and,
- An Appropriate Assessment (AA) Screening Report in accordance with the requirements of Article 6(3) of the EU Habitats Directive (Directive 92/43/EEC).
Making a Submission:
Submissions or observations may be made:
- in writing to Frank Stafford, A/Senior Engineer, Environment Section, County Hall, John St., Kilkenny
- by e-mail to
- Submissions or observations should state your name, address and where relevant the organisation/body etc. represented. Please make your submission by one medium only i.e. post/hard copy or email or online at https://consult.kilkenny.ie
- Any written submissions or observations submitted by 5pm on July the 12th will be taken into consideration before the making of the strategy. You are invited to make written submissions/ observations in respect of the draft strategy and the accompanying SEA and AA screening reports.
Please note that all submissions may be available for public viewing during the period of making the strategy. Kilkenny County Council will treat all personal data as confidential and will retain data for no longer than is necessary for the purpose of this Climate Change Adaptation Strategy and in accordance with the Council’s Retention Policy and relevant Data Protection legislation.Sean McKeown,
Director of Services.
7th June, 2019