The Tidy Town Competition is to receive funding for a new prize category – the ‘Let’s Get Buzzing Local Authority Pollinator Award’. It aims to encourage TidyTowns groups to take simple pollinator-friendly actions in their towns and villages.
An Taisce will present the following free workshop:
Preparation & Appreciation of a Pollinator-Friendly Urban Landscape
Date: Saturday May 27th 2017 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Location: Club House Hotel, Patrick Street, Kilkenny
This workshop will introduce pollinators and planting schemes that aim to meet their requirements.
Taking actions for pollinators in any village or town will lead to general biodiversity enhancement and will make the area more attractive for residents and tourists.
The proposed workshop consists of an indoor and outdoor event:
- Introduction to pollinators, the threats they face, their food and habitat requirements.
- Identification of locally occurring bumblebees.
- Actions to help pollinators such as protection of semi-natural habitats, mowing regimes, friendly planting (e.g. trees, hedgerows, short-grass meadows, long-grass meadows, verges), provision of nesting habitats and elimination of pesticide use.
- Discussion of actions already taken or proposed by attendees.
- Visit to pollinator friendly planting schemes in Kilkenny Castle Park and observation of pollinators present.
(Outdoor clothing and comfortable footwear recommended).
The event is aimed primarily at the ‘Tidy Town’ committees and their helpers from Kilkenny city and the rural towns and villages in the County, but it is also open to Local Community Groups and any member of the public wishing to learn about pollinators and their requirements.
Please register for the free workshop with Mary Brennan at email@example.com or text 087 6733518.